Friday, 20 November 2009

Ethiopia Day Five/ Last Day and Good-Bye for a While

We got up at 7 again this morning. I washed my hair with cold water and once more took a cat-shower. I must admit, I'm pretty nasty for only taking ONE shower during our whole stay. I just could not get used to the thought of having to take a cold shower in a room that only had 45F with a broken window. My husband was a little bit more brave, but he also was in the ARMY and was used to much worse.

We had Miranda for b-fast. I decided I would NOT eat until we get back to the Western wold. My stomach was still in knots, the high altitude kept me constantly dizzy and knowing today would be the last day we could spend with our precious YO just added to my wrenched gut.

Yo was as beautiful as ever. I was hoping those last two hours would stretch indefinitely, but they would not. We played with her, prayed over her, read some Psalms to her. Those 2 hours passed quicker then usual and it was time to say good-bye. I really thought I could do it this time without that whole bawling thing (gee, I hate bawling), but couldn't.
Not knowing when we'd see her again, was almost unbearable. I can do numbers and dates and if somebody would have told me "Hey, you're court date is on..... and the Embassy date is ........blabla, and you can pick her up in March", I would have been a whole lot more OK, then having to leave her with these uncertainties.

I gave her one last big hug, kissed her on her fuzzy hair and told her much much I loved her. She gave me a big smile. She also gave her nanny a big smile. She's so darling.

The bawling episode didn't last that long and I was pretty much OK after 15 minutes. The acquaintance that is also in the process of adopting their child invited us over to the Sheraton that afternoon, which was WOW!!!!, a great place to be. You have all the convenience at the tip of your fingers, when you look out the window you see the slums.

We may stay there next time we travel. Jesse will travel by himself and he'll have internet access, which we didn't have at the guesthouse (neither did we have A/C, hot water, etc).
The guesthouse was a great place, and if you want to learn about Ethiopian people and just dive into their culture, the guesthouse is the right place to go.

That afternoon we asked our driver/tour guide to take us to the "merkato" (Ethiopian market) since I still needed some souvenirs. We were advised to stay in the vehicle (locked) and just look out and observe. That merkato is one crazy insane place!!! Us westerners would have gone totally lost and robbed in there.

The driver took us to a little bit more decent shop for some souvenirs.

We headed back around dinner time. Jesse had dinner - can you believe it! while I had some dry bread and Miranda, lol.

Our plane was scheduled to leave at midnight, but we were adviced to leave at least 4 hours prior. I though the guide was nuts, what would we do at an airport for 4 hours? But he was right. That place is a nuthouse!! If you're done with one line, you go to the next and if you're done there you have to fill out an "un-entry yourself" visa and get to the next line. We managed to get to our boarding area 30 minutes prior to departure.
Then I got skeptical. We booked Lufthansa flights, but the only airplane I could see was Ethiopian Airlines. No way I'd go into a plane like THAT!!! I don't know what went wrong, but it was our flight and the whole trip back I was super nervous, didn't understand a word that was said. Which reminds me , I still need to contact Lufthansa asking them what in THE world went wrong and why we ended up in an Ethiopian Airline!?

After all, we made it in OK. I brought back some wonderful memories, a camera full of YO pics and few videos, and an African Virus, lol.




My main nutrition for the last 2 days in ET






the Sheraton was nice, nice, n-i-c-e!!!

2 comments:

Alisha said...

I had never had Miranda before. Do they have it in Europe? I thought maybe it was Fanta with a different name, but we were told it wasn't Fanta. (But that the Fanta in Ethiopia is also delicious; better than the Fanta in Europe.)

I'm with you 100% on it being easier when you know when you'll get to see your child again. Maybe you'll find out your court date while you're in the US!

Debbie said...

What a wonderful, bittersweet trip. So wish Ethiopia were closer so we could go visit, but we'll just have to wait for pick up. Not that I'm complaining about that at all.