Monday, 14 December 2009

Bittersweet Countdown....

I'm counting, but not really. I want the days to pass quickly so we can move on in the adoptionprocess and bring our baby home, but on the other hand have to face two imminent death cases in our family. they're days are very limited, numbered and we're hopeful and prayerful those precious relatives will make it through Christmas.

I'm convinced,God has sent me another wake-up call. Should we really carelessly count down our days to a specific event and hope those days pass quickly? Or should we cherish every moment and be thankful for every single day in life, no matter what?

My aunt (the one who brought some Afro-American flair into our family) was diagnosed with cancer two years ago. Her whole family flew in to spend the final days with her. I had the privilege to visit her over the weekend and we brought up special memories. She's such a brave woman and I always admired her for strength, raising her 5 children on her own - successfully.

My grandmother - she is old, but was as healthy as a horse. She's been feeling a "bit off" the last few weeks, but she blamed it on not being recovering very well from the flu. Thursday night she felt really bad and my dad brought her to the hospital. They started to run some routine tests and immediately found metastases in her lungs, kidney and lever. Today (Monday) she has more tests run on her to see where the "Mother-cancer" is sitting. The doctor gave a prognosis and it didn't sound good at all.

I really wanted my grandmother to meet YO and vice versa. If we pass court in two days, we still have 4-6 weeks before we can pick her up. I'm praying court, Embassy and travel will work out smoothly, not for my sake, but I really wanted them to get to know each other, even if it would just be for a day or two.

As for now, I'm still counting, but also am holding on to the days.
Please keep my two precious relatives in prayer, pray that they will be painfree during this hard time and most of all that they put their trust and faith in GOD and, acknoledge that Death doesn't necessarly mean it is the end. My grandma has a very "catholic" understanding of God, I just wished she'd know, she doesn't have to work herself into heaven and that she won't have to spent a certain time in purgatory. It's hard to "convince" a 86 year old woman, that had Catholicism bred into her for so many years over so many generations, to plainly believe, that Salvation is a gift and she won't have to worry about the catholic rituals.

3 comments:

Ang said...

Dear Mel~

Thank you for reminding me to treasure each moment. We will certainly be praying for your entire family. As I was reading this morning, I focused on "the fullness of Christ". In Colossians, 3:8,9, it says, "See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles for this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority. As you wrote, it brought to mind again, that we have everything in Christ.

May God richly bless your family during this time in ways you never imagined...

Angie

MommaT said...

Mel,

Thank you for sharing your heart and painful time with all of us. I am glad we have a God that can hear our prayers anywhere and knows what each of us are going through. Love and cherish those family members each and every day they have here, and remember that soon they will be living in perfection at the feet of Glory!

Debbie said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your aunt and grandmother are not doing well. We are truly only offered a short time on this earth and it is important for each of us to love and cherish all those moments no matter how good, bad or mediocre they may be. After all, those moments are the memories we leave behind for our loved ones to cherish.